Thursday, October 23, 2014

Who Moved My Climate

I once was moved into a new office. The previous occupant of that office had left behind a few books, one of them was Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Jonson, M.D.

I don't really like the book because it starts out telling you that you are stupid if you don't think this is the greatest book ever written. For some reason I continued reading it.

A few weeks ago I saw an story on Forbes, Climate Change Has Jumped the Shark. Basically it says that there is no way we are going to stop climate change. The author points out that for much of the world poverty is a greater issue than climate change.

Really are we going to tell the people in third world countries that they have to continue to live in extreme poverty so that the people in the affluent countries can continue to live in luxury?

It reminds me a lot of the Hunger Games where the outlying districts are forced to live a meager livelihood while those in the capitol are over indulging. In the books the Hunger Games are used to maintain that disparity. In the real world we are trying to use climate change to do the same thing.

So back to Who Moved My Cheese. In the story you have the heroes, Sniff and Scurry. When the cheese in their maze moves to a new location Sniff sniffs out the new location and scurry runs around until he finds the new location. Then you have the two losers, Hem and Haw. Hem and Haw are like the climate change fear mongers and the climate change deniers.

The reality is we live in a world of change. The climate has changed in the past and it will change in the future. We can argue all we want about whether or not the polar ice caps are melting. We can argue all we want about whether a warmer world is good or bad.

We need to realize that things change and we need to adjust to those changes. I have full confidence that humanity can and will adjust to the changes in the climate, man made or natural.

I guess that silly book I read all those years ago wasn't as bad as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment